Saturday 6 March 2010

'Why is a raven like a writing desk?'

I'll tell you why, as I'm sick of people quoting the new Alice in Wonderland film, as if it didn't exist before or there was never a book (which is amazing and I suggest you read it, as Tim Burton has allegedly not stuck to any of the storyline, just the characters). Duhhh.

Lewis Carroll states, in a note in my ancient 1958 copy of the two stories, that a raven is like a writing desk 'Because it can produce a few notes, though they are very flat; and it is never put with the wrong end in front. This, however, is an after-thought: the Riddle, as originally invented, had no answer at all.'

By 'never put with the wrong end it front,' he means that 'raven' is 'nevar' spelt backwards, and a desk cannot be put the wrong way round.

I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't blog unless there was anything I felt needed blogging, but today is a break from that promise and today I am doing a new blog entry out of boredom. So it's a mish mash of observations and bits and bobs today.

I have decided that, when I am old enough to get a tattoo, I would very much like Frank Carter from Gallows to tattoo me. I've already lined up a load of tattoos I want, from a small heart on my hip to ornate wings on my back (two tattoos I've wanted since I was about 11 - I've wanted tattoos since I was about 6) and I think that because tattoos are so personal, I would like an original and inspiring person to contribute towards it. So I've decided that Mr. Carter, who said in an interview he would rather be considered as a tattooist in a band rather than a singer who sidelines in tattoo art, would be a great candidate to do a pretty tat.

I've also started doing rough scribbles of tattoo designs all over my work in lessons, which seemed to piss Frau Wade off. Especially as I wasn't even drawing on my 'work,' just a blank page with just the words 'Ich Liebe' on it.

I also might go to Primark today, (yeah i know.) to look for a pair of brogues and maybe a scarf. Failing that, I'll go charity shopping tomorrow.

That's all, I really have stopped being able to think. x

No comments:

Post a Comment